In 1841, Clara lives with her husband in Blackwood House. Mina, a maid who works in the household, and Clara become involved in an affair which is found out by her husband. She gives Mina an ultimatum which forces her to face logic and emotion.
The Sycamore Gap was self-funded and co-produced by Sarah Talbot. It attended 24 film festivals, was nominated for 18 awards (including BFI Northern Filmmaker Award) and winner of 8 awards (including two regional RTS Awards). We are particularly proud of its appearance at BAFTA Qualifying Aesthetica Film Festival.
The Sycamore Gap appeared at Sunderland Short Film Festival, The Film Bunch, Women Of The Lens, Uk Cinefest, Aesthetica Short Film Festival Emerging Talent Strand (Bafta Qualifying), Bfi Scene Film Festival, Des Histoires Du Festival, Newcastle International Film Festival, Northumbria Media Gala, Short Films Of The North-east, Women’s Film Festival, North-east Young Filmmaker Awards, Festival De Cannes Short Film Corner (Not In Competition), Prodigy Film Festival, Vision Feast Film Festival, Push Festival, Film Festival Of Time Legacy, British Shorts Film Festival, Dumbo Film Festival, Pinewood Studios Lift Off Festival, Lgbt New Renaissance Festival, The Film Club Jerusalem, Lgbtq Shorts Film Festival, Link Film Festival, Bectu Future Filmmakers, Global Short Film Awards.
- ROYAL TELEVISION SOCIETY – Winner of Best Student Short Film 2019, Winner of Best Student Screenplay 2019, Nominated for Best Student Production Design 2019, Best Student Cinematography 2019.
- NEW RENAISSANCE FILM FESTIVAL – Nominated for Best LGBT Film for Women 2019, Best Actress (Sophie Nattrass) 2019, Best Short 2019.
- FILM FESTIVAL OF TIME – Winner of Best Period Piece Award 2019.
- VISION FEAST FILM FESTIVAL – Nominated for Best Historical Film Award 2019.
- PRODIGY FILM FESTIVAL – Winner of Best Cinematography Award 2018, Winner of Best Director Award 2018, Nominated for Best Actress Award twice (Kristel Buckley and Sophie Nattrass), Best Film Award 2018, Best Score Award 2018.
- SUNDERLAND SHORT FILM FESTIVAL – Winner of Stand Out Film Award 2018.
- AESTHETICA SHORT FILM FESTIVAL – Nominated for BFI Northern Filmmaker Award 2018.
- NEWCASTLE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL – Nominated for Best Short Film Award 2018.
- NORTHUMBRIA MEDIA GALA – Winner of Best Film Award 2018, Winner of Best Cinematography Award 2018.
- NORTH-EAST YOUNG FILMMAKER AWARDS – Nominated for Best Film Award 2018.
- GLOBAL SHORT FILMS AWARDS – Winner of Best Costume Design 2020.